Monday, August 20, 2012

Two Tone Mama

If you have been reading the blog for a while, you know my mom is one crafty lady.  
Well she struck again and I am super jealous of her latest project.  

Growing up we used to visit my mom's parents and loved "working" in the basement with all my grandfather's  tools.  I have fond memories of making all sorts of  crap treasures.  And I'm sure most of our creations quickly made their way to the trash (even my hoarder of a mother wouldn't save this stuff!)  But my sisters and I thought we were too cool for school.

My grandfather stored a bunch of his tools in this.  
He passed away many years ago, but my mom held on to this gem, which was actually my great grandfather's and my mom thinks he made it himself.



With  some sanding, stain, paint and rub 'n buff, my mom transformed it into this!



I think it's so fabulous that it's now in my parents home.
I love that there are so many memories attached to it.  
The stained drawers and white shell are...to die.
I think it's absolute perfection!



17 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship ... from great grandfather all the way to your mother's work. Its amazing how modern it looks with the white paint + stain. Robin @ happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love things with meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! I wish I had more stuff around from my grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful and how cool that it holds memories too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's gorgeous, you did a teriffic job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it...your mom is amazing, and love that such a special piece has made it through the years. So awesome for you to look at and think back on all the happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a cool piece! i think your mom is too cool for school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO incredibly cool! Everytime you guys see that, you'll think of all of the history behind it. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Y'all are so sweet! Thanks for all your wonderful comments! I know my mom is going to love reading them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone ! I m Erin's mom and I m so glad you enjoyed my makeover, it was truly a labor of love !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this little redo, and it's so special because of the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very neat! It's always nice to have a piece that means something to you. I recently refinished my grandparents old desk set. I use for a computer table.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soooo Pretty!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete