Sunday, March 13, 2011

Turning this HighBOY into a MAN!

Remember when I got this highboy from Arneda's Thrift and Gift for $95!  Probably not...considering its taken me an eternity to finish!  Getting big hunks of furniture painted with 2 toddlers running around gets complicated! 

Here is the before taken in the thrift shop.  It's hard to tell but it was pretty beat up.  (and I'm kind of loving the lamp next to it...why didn't I pick that up when I was there!!!)


And here is the after!


My first inclination was to do something bold and go blue but when we got the piece in the livingroom I was kind of loving the brownish gray color.  I decided to freshen it up with a deeper gray paint (Behr Trail Print in Flat Enamel) .

I wanted to add a little something unique to the peice so I searched for the perfect pulls and think I found them.  I scuffed them up with some steel wool then sprayed them with primer and paint.  I was inspired to use yellow by Cassie from Hi Sugarplum and her amazing highboy she re-did for her little girls room.  Can you even stand how fabulous that is?  If you don't follow her blog you need to!  She is hilarious and my newest blog crush!

Here are my pulls before:


Amazon $1.34

After:


These were my other supplies:

Behr Premium Paint Plus Primer (Color: Trail Print).   I just sanded then wiped clean and painted since it was paint and primer in one.  No need to prime first.

Wipe on Poly.  I used this for the first time over the finished paint job and I AM IN LOVE!  It was so simple.  You just pour some on a lint free cloth and wipe your piece.  No brush marks, Hooray!  (Thanks to Kate at Centsational Girl...another blog crush...for the tip!)  Since my kids will be stashing their toys in the bottom drawers poly was essential to keep it looking good.  They have a tendency to smoosh food and crash toys into my furniture!

Krylon Spray Paint (color: sun yellow) for the drawer pulls.  Great thing about these are they were so cheap if I get sick of the color I can swap them out for something new.

Not pictured is a roller paint brush and regular paint brush for the spots I couldn't roll.
Also not pictured primer spray paint for the pulls


One last look:



I think I scare my husband.  He will find me in the living room just looking at it.  It's like having a new baby in the house...I just sit and stare! 

I'm linking up to these parties today!

The DIY Show Off







Photobucket















craft







56 comments:

  1. Love it!! I am from just north of Richmond, so I am so glad I found your blog via Craft-O-Maniac...I love to thrift and love to discover new places to find great things :)

    ~meri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meri- THANK YOU so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I really like the flat black. Quite the savings and it turned out nicely. Dropping by from Met Monday. When you have time, come see the chairs I had recovered.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am in LOVE with this piece!!! the colors are awesome and those pulls are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO cool! Great idea with the yellow pulls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it, those yellow pulls really set it apart! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job. I like the pop of yellow. Great price on this beautiful piece too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, amazing! You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is beautiful! Those pulls are fabulous
    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok. What a fantastic piece! I love the style, color, and the pulls. Super kuddos for the pull style and color! Newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm....love gray and yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love the lion pulls with the highboy - great pair. The color is perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful job Erin! The yellow pulls are FAB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the little pulls. I have never seen something like that. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is gorgeous! You did a beautiful job, and I love how you did the pulls a bright color!
    Thanks so much for joining my party :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been looking EVERYWHERE for a higbhoy after seeing what Cassie did to hers! So jealous you found yours!!! I've been searching high and low on Craigslist- no luck! I LOVE those pulls!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love, love, love it! The pulls just make it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You guys are the best! Thanks for all the wonderful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, what a gorgeous furniture makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so glad you went back to purchase this. It looks amazing. You did a an excellent job with this transformation. So clean, crisp and transitional.

    Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  21. Umm...I'm seriously in love with that! The colors you chose are absolutely perfect. I'm extremely jealous of that piece!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful job-the pulls are fab-I'm your newest follower-stop on over-Claire

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's beautiful!
    Wow!

    Cheryl

    http://ldsmomtomany.blogspot.com/2011/02/dresser-redo.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous! I love the yellow pulls against the dark gray. You did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, those pulls are awesome! I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  26. love love love the deep gray!! i'm a gray kick.. and just did a dresser in gray myself! it's the gray sisterhood.. lol ;) great job!! {new follower!}

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much for linking up to my party! :) I LOVE that piece of furniture...oh so lovely and you did a great job! I would have grabbed that piece of furniture in a heartbeat! (and you're right, probably that lamp too) :) Thanks again for linking up!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it! It makes me want to scout Goodwill for a piece just like it....I think the yellow pulls really make it fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh yeah. That works. Love the black and the mustard painted hardware is inspired genius.
    Pam @ BeColorful

    ReplyDelete
  30. this took guts and imagination, I lOVE it !!! Thanks for sharing the name of your grey. The yellow lions are classic, whimsy & the perfect touch - LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  31. Right ON! It's a beauty and I love that you spray painted the pulls yellow! Gorgeous -- I'd definitely put this in my own house. -Camille

    ReplyDelete
  32. I don't blame you for staring...it's perfect! Congrats on a beautiful job. I gotta try that wipe-on poly. :) Found you at Miss Mustard Seed!

    Gabby
    The Late, Young Family

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your redo. And those pulls, so brave and bold! Awesome. Having a fun giveaway on my blog if you want to stop by. :)
    http://www.alwaysinwonder.com/2011/03/friday-finds-featuring-beifiori.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. You rock! I love how it turned out. I will be featuring you on this weeks party :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi, Erin! :) Your highboy is absolutely stunning. I love what you did with the pulls. I'm from just North of Richmond (I actually know Meri--the first comment on this post). ;) I'll be checking out your list of thrifting stops for sure. You have a cute Etsy shop too. :)

    Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :) Have fun finding a good read or two, and I hope you'll stop by Serenity Now again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. This turned out really beautiful! I found you over at Primitive and Proper and can't wait to check out some of your other projects! love those pulls:)

    ReplyDelete
  37. great job! i LOVE the yellow pulls!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. P.S. Wanted to let you know I featured this post this afternoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is a beautiful piece of furniture, and even better after you got done with it. JUst Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your title cracked me up. Great re-do. Love the hardware!

    ReplyDelete
  41. The bold yellow hardware totally makes the piece! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have a high boy that matches my bedroom set. I have often thought about painting the hole set, but like you said it is hard to find time to paint funiture with little ones. Although we have managed to get other major projects done. Stop on by to my blog and see.

    ReplyDelete
  43. WOW- Love it! and the yellow on the lion knobs is fab. great job. winks-jen

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow, this is a great piece. I love the colors and the hardware. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is incredible! I'm totally inspired.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh my goodness that is gorgous! I recently found your blog and have been going through some of your post and this is amazing! I am currently refinishing a dresser for my new nephew's room and they had the same lion head pulls. Three of them are missing and I really want to order new ones to use. They are such an awesome detial. Thanks for sharing this! Great Work!

    new follower :) from http://prezidentiallife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thank you for this article. That's all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you've covered so many bases.Thanks!Fashion Labradorite Beads

    ReplyDelete