Thursday, March 3, 2011

A seriously quick re-do anyone can do!

I know I talk a lot about how great something could be with a "quick" paint job.  Well I thought I would show you how true that can be!  I am in the process of sprucing up my formalish living room and wanted a quick and impactful change.  I had an old table from Bombay Company (I don't think they are in business anymore).  I wasn't feeling the dark wood.  After seeing Nicole's transformation here and loving the inspiration for her transformation here, I thought I would go for it! 

Here is the before:





And the After!!!





I am really LOVING my new side table.  I was able to do most of it during my favorite time of day...NAP TIME!  (or is it "daddy's home" time, or maybe 5:00 when its appropriate to pour a glass of wine)  I kid...I REALLY DO LOVE hanging out with my kids. 

Here are my supplies:



The table itself was a pretty dark wood so I just left that alone.  If you are doing this and have a light colored "shell" you could always stain it with a dark stain or paint it dark brown. 

I got pretty lazy and did not sand my drawers.  I used Zinsser cover stain primer OIL based paint.  It says on the label it sticks to all surfaces without sanding and I can vouch for that.  I applied it with a sponge brush then lightly sanded when dry to get rid of some of the brush strokes.  If there were not grooves on the drawers I would have applied it with a roller to avoid all brush marks.  Then I spray painted them with Rustoleum semi gloss white.  I purchased both of these things at Home Depot.  For extra protection I may poly...who am I kidding.  I already put the pulls on...for extra protection I should, but probably won't, poly the drawers.


So there you go!  Hopefully some inspiration to go buy something second hand and turn it into something incredible!  Ooooo, wouldn't this look so great on the pedestal table from yesterdays post!

I'm linking to this party!

Today's Creative Blog

16 comments:

  1. I love it! The pulls are fantastic. Great inspiration! I love my boys but I'm already sad that my youngest is down to one nap a day. Isn't that supposed to last a while???
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. It came out great - doesn't even look like the same piece! And so simple too. Awesome.

    -John @ Young House Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone for your positive comments!
    - Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see your new stuff! I love it....inspired am I!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, I am now unable to work because I am so impressed with this and Nicole's dresser. I can't handle it! I am hungry for a project!! you both make it sound so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Deb! You are always to sweet to leave such nice comments!

    And Meg- GO FOR IT! I usually mess up somewhere along the way on EVERY project but this one went pretty smoothly! If you do tackle a project send me the before and after! And thanks for leaving such a great comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i tried to comment but the server rejected, so if this shows up twice, sorry!
    love the table and the modern look you gave it! i also love the header of your blog- the colors and style are great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Now that I've been reading your blog, I've been looking at all my furniture and trying to figure out which piece to paint. I'll let you know when I do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really pops now! It sort of blended in before, but the white front helped a lot. I have yet to try the Zinsser, but I've heard so many good things about it! Wish I'd known it existed a few years back when I put about 52 layers of paint on my daughter's laminate dresser. ;)

    Thank you so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. Have fun finding some new reads, and I hope you'll stop by Serenity Now again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS. I live not too far away from you, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. so stinkin' cute! i love the two toned look!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would LOVE to have you link up to my PARTY! WHASSUP WEDNESDAY!!

    And I have a party button you can grab and put on your blog so your friends can come too:)




    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely piece of furniture, good job :)
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what a difference the white made. It looks like a different table. Lovely!! ~ Catie

    ReplyDelete