Monday, March 7, 2011

Lamp Revamp!

I've been looking for a drum shade to cover ever since seeing this post from Emily A. Clark (one of my blog crushes!) and being completely inspired!  I looked all over for a drum shade because those are easier to cover then the tapered shade I had.  Drums have the same diameter on top and bottom making it easy to attach new fabric.

I searched thrift stores, Hobby Lobby, and even Shades of Light looking for a drum shade and couldn't find any that worked.  Shades of Light had some but they were around $80 a  pop.  So I decided it was cheaper to just buy a whole new lamp and Marshalls had a HUGE selection of drum shaded lamps.  This is the one I picked up for $29.99. 

I didn't care what the shade looked like because I was going to cover it. 



I ordered my fabric from QuiltHome.  They have a FANTASTIC selection of fun and modern fabrics for very reasonable prices.  The one I choose was light weight so I had to first cover the dark shade with a white heavier weight fabric I had on had from a previous sewing project.  I followed this tutorial and this is how it turned out!




I  love that it ties all the colors in the room together.  That's the great thing about finding your own fabric. 

P.S. This is what my dining room table looked like when I was trying to decide on the perfect lamps for the living room!  EEK!  and I still haven't found one for the other side table in that room!  I think I need to start a group called Returners Anonymous.  My husband thinks I'm crazy but I can't picture what something will look like in the room until I get it there!  So I always end up buying 10 things and returning 9 of them!


I'm linking up to these parties today!






The DIY Show Off
Today's Creative Blog

17 comments:

  1. The last photo cracks me up! Love the new shade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh I love the fabric! Awesome job on the re-vamp!

    Ally @ TinyWalletStyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shade! I like the other projects on your blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fabric you chose! The lamp looks fabulous... I can totally relate to the dining room table too! I am excited to see your future post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the lamp! Great job! And your dining room table of lamps is hilarious. That's a good idea to buy them all at once. I'm very visual and also need to "see" things in their place. I usually buy one item at a time which then means I don't get "the" item for several weeks later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for all the wonderful comments! Makes a Monday so much more exciting when I get all this blog lovin'

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job on the lamp! I am the same way- I am always returning stuff! But you don't know how it will look until you bring it home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! Very nice fabric choice.
    http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAHAHA. i love your lamp infested room. and that fabric is gorggggg. Love how it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found you at Today's Creative Blog - Love this lamp! I've always wanted to do this but I've been too nervous about it (I once set a lamp shade on fire by putting a barbie dress over it - I was ten but I was scarred for life!!). This is so gorgeous maybe I'll get brave and do it! ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is hysterical! i do that, glad to know i'm not the only one. i always check a return policy before i buy anything, especially if it's on clearance. i don't want anyone telling me i can't return something!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this fabric! Great job! Just came across your blog and I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori- your story about the barbie dress gave me a chuckle! You should definitely go for it and give it a whirl. Its super easy. Almost impossible to mess up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks awesome! Your choice of fabric goes great with the base! Stopping by from TCB. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I redid a lampshade on Monday night too, it's lots of fun. Yours looks great!

    www.thisthoughtprocess.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so funny about all the returns! But, also a great idea!!!! Sometimes I'll stand in a store isle for half an hour trying to picture how something will look in different places in my house....I know the other shoppers walking around me while I stare at some item on the shelf think I'm crazy....I think I'll try your method next time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my gosh! I can totally relate to the lamp debaucle! It's sooooo hard to pick them without bringing them into the space. I've done that with three different lamps now... :(

    -Ashley
    www.DesignBuildLove.co

    ReplyDelete