Friday, January 27, 2012

Coffee Table Snazz Up

I found this unfortunate light oak colored coffee table at goodwill a while ago and thought it would be a perfectly decent table if given a coat of paint.  After hanging out in my garage for several months and making friends with the other furniture waiting patiently to be tackled it went from this......


To this.....


I sanded it then applied a coat of Zinsser OIL based primer.  Because I'm SUPER lazy time efficient I sprayed the legs with the spray variety and rolled the top with the canned version of the primer.  You can see in the before shot I forget to snap a pic before I got started and already sprayed the legs.

Then I painted it in a nice semi-gloss black.  I like the Behr Ultra from Home Depot.  The top took 3 coats.  I took the hand sander to give it a distressed look.  After that you can see the white primer and if you like that look then you could stop there but I like it to look brown in the distressed spots so I have a stain pen like this:

Minwax 63484 Wood Finish Stain Marker Red Mahogany
And I go back over the white with the pen and it magically turns brown!  Then I protected the finish with Minwax OIL based Rub on Poly.  Hope you like! 




I will be putting it for sale in one of my booths but it's still a tiny bit tacky from the poly and want that to completely dry. 
Have a FABULOUS weekend!  Anyone have any fun plans?

6 comments:

  1. that looks fabulous! i love the black- instant classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you please make your way to Chicago! I could chat with you for hours about these projects. What? OK, I'll come to Richmond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Let us know where you put it because I might have to come get it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been examinating out a few of your articles and it's pretty nice stuff. I will surely bookmark your website.
    Keen Women's Snowmass High Waterproof Winter Boot

    ReplyDelete