Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Reader Request

A lovely reader named Christina emailed me the other day to let me know she picked up a trunk I had featured the other day from Goodwill.  Remember this one:


Well she picked it up and it happened to be the color of the week when she got it, so it cost her $10!  Total score!!!  She wanted some ideas on what she could do with it, so I came up with a few I found around the blogosphere....keeping in mind she wants to use it as a coffee table.

Oh and her living room colors are hunter green, chocolate brown, light brown...earth tones.

Love this before and after from Poofycheeks  Amazing what a little paint can do.

BEFORE:

AFTER
 You could paint your trim (the part with the studs on it) one color to get rid of the yellow (if you don't think it would go) and paint the inside a color that coordinates with your room.

How fun is this one from Denver Post
It's a great example of how it would look if you painted the hardware and the trim if you don't like any of the yellow Christina.  Choose two browns that go in your room and do a stripe?!?

My friend Eva (who sells fabulous personalized items!) did a fabulous makeover...here is her before


And with a little fabric, mod podge and ribbon she has this for a beautiful after:


Or how about this one?

living rooms - bamboo roman shade rope mirror glass lamp sofa trunk coffee table end table accent table seagrass rug modern jonathan adler cane chairs antique chest brown black yellow gray gold yellow living room
Love this one from DecorPad.com.  You could recreate it by painting your whole piece black then shinning up the metal pieces (maybe with Brasso)

And if you wanted to add a little height to the chest you could get some stubby legs from Home Depot or Lowes and drill 4 holes on the bottom and screw them on. 

I hope these ideas helped a little!  I love using trunks as coffee tables!  Anyone else seen any ideas that would help Christina out?

4 comments:

  1. It cracks me up that its now so "cool" to use trunks like this as a coffee table, but when my husband and I were in college, all he had was a trunk for a coffee table and I couldn't wait to help him upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the look of that last one - black and gold - my favorite combo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is so timely for me! My Mum recently gave me the trunk she bought in 1965 to relocate from Australia to the UK (didn't happen, but that's another story). It's next on the list of projects - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a stack of old suitcases at the side of my couch and I love it! I flip when I see them. Love the color of the first trunk!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete